Like everywhere, we’ve had our fair share of layoff rumours. I’ve tried not to think about it, but this week, I saw 10 sure signs that downsizing is on its way…
1. We received a memo telling us how to contact The Employee Assistance Program.
2. Every time I go to the printer to pick up an order sheet, there’s a stack of resumes in the tray.
3. Lunchroom talk has switched from “Who will win Idol” to “How much seniority I have.”
4. I asked my boss Clark about scheduling my next performance review. He laughed and punched me on the shoulder.
5. The supply cabinet hasn’t been restocked and won’t be “for the foreseeable future.”
6. A skid of empty boxes arrived on our floor.
7. Everybody is actually working. And working hard.
8. At any given hour you can hear someone crying in a stall in the men’s room.
9. We were six chairs short at our staff meeting. Clark’s take? “That’ll sort itself out in time.”
10. We’ve been told that our summer vacation requests have been put on hold but we should go ahead and make any plans we like.